THIS BLOG HAS BEEN MOVED - FOR THE MOST UP TO DATE POSTS, PLEASE VISIT

THIS BLOG HAS BEEN MOVED - FOR THE MOST UP TO DATE POSTS, PLEASE VISIT

http://promo101interviews.wordpress.com/

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Finding Funboy


Tell us the book title and your author name. The novel is called “Finding Funboy,” and the author -- that’s me -- is Matt Golec.

What inspired the book?

Staying in touch with old friends became harder after I went away to college. We all made new friends, did new things and took a few giant steps toward adulthood. When I’d come home after several months and look up the old gang, connecting could be tricky because while I’d changed and they’d changed, the people we remembered in our heads hadn’t. It usually took a few steps for us to catch up with the new people we were all in the process of becoming.

People change. Even if you stay in the same place forever, you can’t help growing up and into new relationships with your friends and environment. “Finding Funboy” is about the main character’s search for an old friend, and the dawning realization of how these kinds of changes have been happening right under his nose.

What makes this book special to you?

“Finding Funboy” is my first novel, and I peppered its pages with the sights, sounds and character traits I’d known growing up. The story isn’t about me or anyone in specific, but I wanted it to capture the feel of what it’s like to be a young man kicking around my hometown of Portland, Maine.

What sparks your creativity? Any tips to help others spark their own creativity?I take a lot of notes when I’m kicking a story around in my head. That way, when I sit down at my computer to actually bash the thing out, I’ve got a lot of dots for me to connect. It’s a great way to keep working if that creativity fails to spark on a particular day.

What has been the biggest stumbling block in your writing? Can you share some tips to help others get past similar problems?

Simply finding the time to write is difficult. There are so many distractions -- family, friends, house projects, my Netflix queue -- and writing is long, hard, solitary work. For me, setting a schedule is critical. I try to write early in the day so I won’t put it off until it’s too late in the day to do anything but curl up in bed.

What do you think motivates people to become authors? What motivated you to get into this unusual industry?

Although I don’t have any data to back me up, I’d bet most authors are also lifetime readers. The literary heroes of my adolescence -- Kurt Vonnegut, J.R.R. Tolkien, Joseph Heller, the good folks at Marvel Comics -- were certainly who motivated and inspired me.

Tell me about the most unusual things you have done to promote any books?

I think for many authors, promoting oneself at all is unusual. But without some sort of promotion, these stories that we’ve worked so hard on will never get read. We write to communicate, not just to put words on paper; without a reader, we might as well be talking to ourselves.

Tell us how you decided on your book’s setting and what you did to create a complete and vivid setting for your readers?

I set most “Finding Funboy,” in Portland, Maine, the town where I grew up. Like friends you have from childhood, I believe the place where you grow up has an emotional hold on you that runs pretty deep. I hoped that emotional connection I have with Portland would translate into a rich setting for “Finding Funboy.”

Also, it’s a great old coastal city with cobblestone streets, heavy brick architecture and mysterious fog smelling of the sea that rolls in at night.

What inspires you about the hero in your book? What makes them memorable for the reader?

What I really enjoyed about the main character/hero in “Finding Funboy” was his growth. The choices he makes and the actions he takes -- some for the better, some for the worse -- help form the core of his maturing self. I hope readers will feel privileged to be included in this process.

Is there a villain or something that causes friction in your story? Tell us about what or who it is and how that contributes to the story.

The real source of friction in “Finding Funboy” is the main character’s attempts to locate his childhood friend crashing into his deepening infatuation with that friend’s girlfriend. How he resolves this conflict, and how he comes out the other side a sadder if wiser person, forms the heart of the book.

If there's anything else you would like to share, this is the time and place.

The book is funny! I probably try for more laughs than I get, but despite a serious theme, “Finding Funboy” promises a fun, snappy read.

For more about “Finding Funboy,” or to read the opening chapter, visit www.mattgolec.com.

To purchase “Finding Funboy,” visit www.booksforabuck.com/mystery/mys_07/finding_funboy.html or www.amazon.com/Finding-Funboy-Matt-Golec/dp/1602150575/


No comments: